The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
Pia Toscano -- Post-Interscope - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other Idols & Other Shows (http://haleyfans.com/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Pia Toscano -- Post-Interscope (/thread-1308.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pia Toscano -- Post-Interscope - Miguel - 09-04-2012

The Season 10 favorite cites a "difference of opinion" and constant delays of her debut album for the split from her label, telling THR, "I'm finally getting to have a strong voice for what I want to create."

Quote:In an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Toscano reveals that a "difference of opinion" was the reason for the delay of her debut album on the Universal-owned major label. She had hoped the record would be ready for a fall release.

"It makes sense for me because I really want to get my music out there," says Toscano of the split. "It’s been a little while, yes, but to be honest, I'm happy for this delay because I don't think I was ready for it when this all started happening." She still plans to release a record when the "timing is right."

Toscano adds that she holds no ill will towards 19, American Idol or Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine, whom she called "an incredible mentor."

"He’s so great at what he does," she said of working with the Interscope head and veteran producer. "I am blessed to have that [experience] as part of my life."

Her future recording plans are a continuation of her work with Grammy-winning producers Harvey Mason Jr. and Damon Thomas -- aka The Underdogs -- the former with whom she was first paired on Idol where she performed and recorded, among other songs, Whitney Houston's "Where Do Broken Hearts Go."

"Harvey worked with Whitney Houston and she has been my idol who I’ve looked up to my whole life," says Toscano. "[She's] why I started singing and to be in his hands, as well as Damon’s, is truly an honor."

...while the Howard Beach, New York native was "thrilled" to get a recording contract so soon after the show, Toscano had difficulties navigating the waters of the music industry as she emerged from the Idol bubble.

"When I did get my deal with Interscope, I was over the moon, [but I] never realized how difficult it would be," Toscano tells THR. "Coming from a show where you're singing other peoples' songs to becoming an artist ... You have to work harder than ever."

Toscano says these complexities slowed down the recording process. "There were a lot of opinions going on, and there was also mine," she explains. "The audience sees through everything, and if you are not true to who you are, they are going to know. I wanted an album that I could believe in and I could stand by, and I have the perfect team to do that right now."

That team includes Redlight Management's Mark Didia. 19 Management is also no longer in the picture.

When asked what kind of album she hopes will best represent her sound, Toscano cited season one winner Kelly Clarkson and The Voice judge Christina Aguilera as examples of the kind of "pop artists with soul" she hopes to emulate. The 23-year-old adds that she wants to create songs for her teenage fanbase to help them deal with bullying and other life issues. Says Toscano: "When they put on my album and listen to my songs, I want them to feel like, 'Everything’s OK. Pia went through that, I can get through this.'"

The proof is in her own perseverance wading through the big boy world of the music industry and making it to the other side. "I’m finally getting to have a strong voice for what I want to create, says Toscano. "An authentic album."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/idol-worship/american-idol-pia-toscano-interscope-part-ways-367684

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Recordings - Tusk - 09-04-2012

Tongue

Wow talk about your 'starting with a bang withering to nothing' situations....
Did they ever hire people to help Pia with her stage persona? I like her down to earth personality and she sounds very intelligent, but, IMO, from what I've seen on and off, she is lacking ....something, that grabs attention as an onstage performer...Huh

She's got talent, intelligence, beauty, and charisma...just not that on stage presence... I can't say exactly what that something is, but I believe it's something that can be learned or 'fixed'.

Good Luck to you Pia...hoping for the best

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - Outcast - 09-04-2012

Yes she lacks stage presence but that's not all. She also lacks creativity and imagination judging by her song choices on the show, all of which were really bland and uninspiring. I don't think she's cut out for the music biz TBH, she could try acting or modeling but those fields are just as competitive. I dunno, maybe theater, broadcasting?

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - midnightblues - 09-04-2012

Maybe she could do the voice of Pocahontas if Walt Disney ever decided to do another video. I am sorry to hear about that but as the article says she holds no ill feelings towards 19 or Interscope. Best of luck to you girl.

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - My Alter Ego - 09-04-2012

I am sorry to hear this, but I think that -- unfortunately -- Outcast may have summed up the situation altogether too well. She really didn't show much creativity, imagination, an ability to connect with her audience (which is what I would consider charisma), and decent judgement in what she should sing. It could be, as she stated, that there have been too many other influences that weren't to her benefit, but it seems that she should have had the maturity to be able to speak out. Perhaps, she was too in awe of those "other voices" (that has an odd ring to it).

But, if the single that was released last summer was any indication of the other songs she's recorded, well.... Hopefully, she'll fare better with this change. I'm glad the "divorce" was amicable, and do wish her well. She does have an incredible voice, if she can only find the right material!

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - buzzenator - 09-04-2012

I remember picking up on Pia during Hollywood week and then Vegas week when she did a duet with her friend Karen Rodriguez during Season 10. She stood out to me with her voice and her looks. Haley and Pia sat together while waiting in Room #1 when they were cutting down to about 65 to go to Vegas. I think she is close with Haley and certainly would have called her to ask her advice.

Pia took the high road and did not blast anyone with Interscope or 19, even thanking Jimmy Iovine for his mentoring. It raises more questions than answers. What has she been doing since her single in early summer of 2011?

There must be a whole catalog of songs and recordings that she has produced in that time...of which no one is excited about releasing on an album. The frustration for everyone has forced Pia to regroup and reassess the future. I wish her well...and I do think she has a whole lot of avenues she can go down.

We will hear more from Pia in the future. She had the technical training and powerful voice, but it is not translating into anything for the current music industry. Undecided

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - Outcast - 09-05-2012

She's a pretty girl, so what? She has a beautiful voice, again so what? Her problem, besides her lack of stage presence, is that there's nothing distinctive and unique about her, neither visually nor vocally. Now I don't always agree with Simon Cowell but it says something if he turns you down 5 times! The reason James, Casey, Haley and Naima were my S10 top 4 was because they all brought new styles to the show: metal, jazz & reggae (I could include Scotty as well for bringing traditional country but I'm not into that). That they brought something new to the show which was never done before showed me that they can think outside the box and are capable of bringing something new to music biz - they have imagination, they are creative - that's why I was interested in their post Idol stuff. And it doesn't matter to me if what they did was done before decades ago, what matters is those elements are absent from the current music scene, so they will still be different and unique. Christina Aguilera's 40s inspired Back to Basics album was a masterpiece and a huge hit because it made her stand out and she sold it, she was convincing. Then when she basically copied Lady Gaga with her Bionic album she flopped.

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - buzzenator - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 05:26 AM)Outcast Wrote: She's a pretty girl, so what? She has a beautiful voice, again so what? Her problem, besides her lack of stage presence, is that there's nothing distinctive and unique about her, neither visually nor vocally. Now I don't always agree with Simon Cowell but it says something if he turns you down 5 times! The reason James, Casey, Haley and Naima were my S10 top 4 was because they all brought new styles to the show: metal, jazz & reggae (I could include Scotty as well for bringing traditional country but I'm not into that). That they brought something new to the show which was never done before showed me that they can think outside the box and are capable of bringing something new to music biz - they have imagination, they are creative - that's why I was interested in their post Idol stuff. And it doesn't matter to me if what they did was done before decades ago, what matters is those elements are absent from the current music scene, so they will still be different and unique. Christina Aguilera's 40s inspired Back to Basics album was a masterpiece and a huge hit because it made her stand out and she sold it, she was convincing. Then when she basically copied Lady Gaga with her Bionic album she flopped.

Having good looks in show business is not a "so what" category...it does not make you talented, but many non-talented "beautiful" people have been successful with just that schtick...see "Kardashians".

Last time I checked the winners of Idol were not outside the box based on unique genre of music. Scotty and Lauren didn't make the top 2 doing something new. If anything the outside the box singers that make the Top 10 usually don't get past 3rd place, i.e. James, Naima, Casey, Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson to name a few.

The only thing that comes out about Pia's lack of stage presence is her lack of rhythm/dancing. She has the total look and great voice...she made the Top 10 on votes, not as a wildcard...so she had/has a following. She will do alright with the package that she has...learn to move and dance a little and she will enhance her natural gifts. Then find the music channel that works for her. IMHO

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - Tom22 - 09-05-2012

Quote:Toscano says these complexities slowed down the recording process. "There were a lot of opinions going on, and there was also mine," she explains. "The audience sees through everything, and if you are not true to who you are, they are going to know. I wanted an album that I could believe in and I could stand by, and I have the perfect team to do that right now.".......

..........The 23-year-old adds that she wants to create songs for her teenage fanbase to help them deal with bullying and other life issues. Says Toscano: "When they put on my album and listen to my songs, I want them to feel like, 'Everything’s OK. Pia went through that, I can get through this.'"

I think Pia is thinking in the right direction with her song subject choices.

As beautiful as a voice she has, she doesn't seem to connect with songs about love and hubba hubba type passion.

From what I've seen in appearances, especially post IDOL elmination where we got more than the edited image, she is a freindly person and has a love life etc.

I just don't think she is comfortable opening up the vulerable and forbiddend pleasure aspects of those things.

So many love songs are about loving what is gone, or dreaming of what you can't or shouldnt' have.

I don't think Pia is wired that way. Her psyche seems to be that of a realist. She wants to put things she doesn't like behind her. She doesn't seem inclined to dwell on what she shouldn't have.

That sort of thing that she doesn't connect to is what 90% of songs are about, and she's right to look for some some small other fraction that she does connect with.

Her prime energy that she conveys is Determnation. I do like that the emotion she takes doesn't turn to a directed anger like so many interpretations of musicians today. If she's singing about something past and done she couldn't really bring a true love to it but it was more like she didn't like the situation and was moving on than making the song about anger with the P.O.S who dumped her.

FWIW... I don't think any-one needs to bee a floozy to sing about forbidden pleasures or be weak to show emotion publically.

I can picture a big italian amercian 50 year old woman wiping her brow or fanning her neck smiling and talking about what a "dish" a movie star is or how good a slice of double chocolate cake with strawberrys looks. Or physically hugging someone she had hardly met who she sensed was in emotional pain at church whether it was a 5 year old girl, 25 year old boy, or 70 year old man. This imaginary person can cry openly in sympathy to stories conveyed to her.

I guess what I'm trying to say in that paragraph is that people are different emotionally and you don't need to be falling in and out of love to sing with empathy of love lost that expresses the love and the pain, or be a philanderer to express a swooning desire for a movie star or a piece of chocolate cake.

I just don't think PIA is wired to be openly effusive and vulnerable or dwell in a dream like way on what she shouldn't have.

She knows herself.. which is a great step. The subject matters she mentioned are perfect for her. She is great with the emotion of "determination" in songs, and seemed to make some songs about love lost about "cutting through the BS" rather than showing a vulnerablity.

She has an incredible voice and a strong camera presesnce that could take that dinstinguishing step beyond just a great voice and a pretty face , to an artist if she had the songs that related to who she is inside.

RE: Pia Toscano Parts Ways With Interscope, 19 Management - Miguel - 10-03-2012

A photo of Pia on the set of the new video she is shooting.

[Image: piaset.jpg]