The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other Musical Subjects (http://haleyfans.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" (/thread-1997.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Miguel - 03-14-2014

Quote:The humor of playing Austin’s most prominent barbeque joint was not lost on Lady Gaga. For her headlining performance at Doritos’ Bold Stage, temporarily held at Stubb’s before relocating to 5th St and Red River Friday and Saturday, Gaga entered the stage while simulating a pig roast on a life-size wooden spit.

...Though she only played two bonafide “hits” from her catalog, “Bad Romance” and “Applause,” she spent the rest of the 60 minutes doing, well, what she wanted. “You don't need a fucking record label, you don’t need a company you are the spirit of every artist!” she cried before introducing “Swine,” (with) the neon orange Doritos logo shining brightly behind her. “Let’s fucking celebrate! This is the moment now! I won't play by your fucking rules this our world!”

...Gaga’s set was heavy on “Artpop” material — even, begrudgingly, its best known single (“And now, because we were told we really have to, we’re gonna play a song called ‘Applause,’” she said shortly before the brief encore.) Doritos executives were audibly disappointed with her set choices. “I paid [her] $2.5 million, I better hear ‘Alejandro,’” said one executive involved with the production, whose request went unfulfilled.

Instead, Gaga spent much of her brief time onstage asking the crowd to live in the moment. “Do me a favor and don’t take my fucking picture, put your phone down,” she said after “Artpop”’s hip-hop highlight “Jewels N Drugs” (featuring an onstage cameo from Twista, no less.) “The best thing about South By is I see so many people just feeling music. Close your eyes, fuck your cell phone – fuck your friends instead!”

...Later, when introducing the for-the-fans ballad “Dope,” Gaga got even more candid. “Sometimes guys, when you're not yourself it's so much harder. It’s so much easier to be yourself than it is to be somebody else,” she said. “When you have to pretend to be somebody else you do things you don't wanna do. It eats your soul inside and makes you do stupid shit. I wrote this song for all the things I'm sorry for. I'm so sorry to myself, that I don't always be myself. But I'm gonna be myself today.”

Look for more similar self-empowerment messages at Gaga’s keynote speech at SXSW on Friday at noon (the first keynote from a woman in 15 years, as many have pointed out.) And, perhaps, another anti-technology-at-concerts screed such as this one: “I think we should just take this one moment and do that thing where you put your phones away and you just look at each other and just be right here. Because when you leave the world nobody's gonna give a fuck what you tweeted or what picture you posted or what you caught. They’re not gonna care how famous I was, they're gonna care about whose lives you saved, what people you touched. When you go home tonight, grab your guitar, grab your piano and don't give up. Don't let the machine and technology take you to a place you don't belong.”

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/touring/5937431/lady-gaga-plays-sxsw-you-dont-need-a-f-king-record-label-you-dont

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - rmd1064 - 03-14-2014

(03-14-2014, 07:05 AM)Miguel Wrote:
Quote:The humor of playing Austin’s most prominent barbeque joint was not lost on Lady Gaga. For her headlining performance at Doritos’ Bold Stage, temporarily held at Stubb’s before relocating to 5th St and Red River Friday and Saturday, Gaga entered the stage while simulating a pig roast on a life-size wooden spit.

...Though she only played two bonafide “hits” from her catalog, “Bad Romance” and “Applause,” she spent the rest of the 60 minutes doing, well, what she wanted. “You don't need a fucking record label, you don’t need a company you are the spirit of every artist!” she cried before introducing “Swine,” (with) the neon orange Doritos logo shining brightly behind her. “Let’s fucking celebrate! This is the moment now! I won't play by your fucking rules this our world!”

...Gaga’s set was heavy on “Artpop” material — even, begrudgingly, its best known single (“And now, because we were told we really have to, we’re gonna play a song called ‘Applause,’” she said shortly before the brief encore.) Doritos executives were audibly disappointed with her set choices. “I paid [her] $2.5 million, I better hear ‘Alejandro,’” said one executive involved with the production, whose request went unfulfilled.

Instead, Gaga spent much of her brief time onstage asking the crowd to live in the moment. “Do me a favor and don’t take my fucking picture, put your phone down,” she said after “Artpop”’s hip-hop highlight “Jewels N Drugs” (featuring an onstage cameo from Twista, no less.) “The best thing about South By is I see so many people just feeling music. Close your eyes, fuck your cell phone – fuck your friends instead!”

...Later, when introducing the for-the-fans ballad “Dope,” Gaga got even more candid. “Sometimes guys, when you're not yourself it's so much harder. It’s so much easier to be yourself than it is to be somebody else,” she said. “When you have to pretend to be somebody else you do things you don't wanna do. It eats your soul inside and makes you do stupid shit. I wrote this song for all the things I'm sorry for. I'm so sorry to myself, that I don't always be myself. But I'm gonna be myself today.”

Look for more similar self-empowerment messages at Gaga’s keynote speech at SXSW on Friday at noon (the first keynote from a woman in 15 years, as many have pointed out.) And, perhaps, another anti-technology-at-concerts screed such as this one: “I think we should just take this one moment and do that thing where you put your phones away and you just look at each other and just be right here. Because when you leave the world nobody's gonna give a fuck what you tweeted or what picture you posted or what you caught. They’re not gonna care how famous I was, they're gonna care about whose lives you saved, what people you touched. When you go home tonight, grab your guitar, grab your piano and don't give up. Don't let the machine and technology take you to a place you don't belong.”

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/touring/5937431/lady-gaga-plays-sxsw-you-dont-need-a-f-king-record-label-you-dont

Kick Ass, Big Pony.......

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Miguel - 03-14-2014

Excerpts from a few stories about her keynote address.

Quote:Lady Gaga gives mixed message at SXSW about corporate interference

...The singer, who appeared with long white dreadlocks and in a huge dress made out of clear plastic bags, also criticised the industry's constant hunger for more record sales.

She said: "The business (is) always trying to widen your demographic. You have these people, so why not go after them as well ... so you can have more. But I don't need more. I have my amazing fans, I don't need anybody else. I won't abandon my morals and core values to be more famous."

Her message against corporate interference wasn't entirely consistent, however. The previous night she had played a visually spectacular show at SXSW that was heavily branded by Doritos chips. When challenged on this point – and the wider issue of corporate sponsorship at the festival, which has been steadily growing in recent years – she became defensive.

She said: "Whoever says these things – [they] don't know fuck about the state of the music industry. Doritos (was) not telling me how to do the show or putting chains around my neck. They just said they wanted to support me in having a great experience and they wanted to help my charity [the Born This Way foundation]. The people who are criticising that just want more clicks to their website.

"The truth is that without sponsorships and companies coming together to help us we won't have any artists in Austin because the record labels don't have any fucking money."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/14/lady-gaga-sends-mixed-message-about-corporate-interference

Quote:SXSW 2014: Lady Gaga's keynote: 'I wanted to look ugly all the time'

...Lady Gaga was far more interesting when the talk turned -- ever so gently, in Norris' hands -- to the perception that last year's "Artpop" was a bomb.

"I'm sorry I didn't sell a million records the first week," she said with a little laugh. "I have before." The singer went on to insist that she's held "to such an insane standard" in terms of her commercial performance at a moment of overall collapse in the record business. "When it comes to me, everyone forgets where the music industry is now," she said. "You come see me and it's like you're time-warped to the '70s."

On that subject, she defended her controversial decision to team with Doritos for Thursday's performance, saying that anyone who criticized her alliance with a corporation doesn't know jack -- she used a more colorful word -- about the state of the business. Record labels, she said, can no longer afford to fund the kind of lavish productions she's interested in, so she simply found help where she could.

...She captured my attention again near the end of the talk when she acknowledged how hard it's been to retain her drive to innovate even as her success encourages a kind of creative stasis.

"Once you have so many people's attention, they think that as a female, it's better for me to make inconsequential music ... and just look beautiful," she said, referring to her handlers. Being told to look beautiful, she added, "poisoned" her in 2013 and led her in part to devise the intentionally rough-edged show she played Thursday night.

"I wanted to look ugly all the time," she said. That's an idea worth its own keynote address.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-sxsw-2014-lady-gagas-keynote-i-wanted-to-look-ugly-all-the-time-20140314,0,3863805.story#ixzz2vyDMws2C

Quote:Lady Gaga's keynote at SXSW: No compromise

"As you become more successful, they start to push the rule book closer and closer to you and say 'Now you're here. How are you going to maintain it?' Really what 'Art Pop' is all about is the truest way for us to maintain the music industry is to put all the power back into the hands of the artist."

The root of the problem is the importance of sales and charts, she said, and an industry that channels its artists toward being commercially successful foremost.

"When you do that, you take the power out of the hands of the artists and into the hands of a corporation," she said. "That means you, at home with your guitar, have less of a chance of making it happen on your own because you need someone in a corporate tower somewhere telling you, No, this is how you do it; this is how you're going to make it.' I don't think any of us want that to be dictating the music we listen to."

..."At the end of the day, nobody's going to remember what you tweeted when you die. No one's going to remember your web content. What's going to be remembered is those magical moments you have helped create, bringing artist and the arts community together … I've been talking so much about creative rebellion because it's like, what are we as an industry if we are not telling ourselves to be creative? What are we? What are we doing? What is happening? Why is it a prison? Why are we allowing it to be a prison?"

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/14/4889848/lady-gagas-keynote-at-sxsw-no.html#storylink=cpy

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Himm2 - 03-14-2014

From the little grapevine tidbits I've heard of Haley's Label shopping she could have had some deals if she was willing to sell her soul to the devil. She'd be a meal ticket to some corporate execs getting much more than their fair share from their Ivory Towers.

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - midnightblues - 03-14-2014

That is a valid statement, most artists that are signed do sell themselves out to a degree you are no longer yours once you sign on the dotted line you are corporate material. That's why I'm not so much concerned about Haley landing a Hugh record deal with people who only concern is money and not your wellfair She would not only be a meal ticket that she is considered fresh meat and if she doeesn't know the in's and out's and the legal aspects she could find yourself in a regretful situation. I do hope she decides to go independent if it is all possible and if not I hope that she gets a lot of legal advice. Lady Gaga made a statement about the don't need a record label to be successful but she has been in the limelight for quite some time.
Artists that just starting out think that they are on their way to stardom because they've signed a contract and soon find out that they are flat broke and working very hard to pay back the large advance that the record company afforded them. Use of wisdom Haley I don't want to see you go down that route that and if you do choose to use caution there's a price to pay for the life you choose choose well.A lot of fans have your back Keep the self promo going.

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Miguel - 03-15-2014

More quotes, from Rolling Stone:

Quote:... she said, most of all, it was the pressure to perform that got her down in recent months. "The sad part is, at some point, you have to look at those people who believe in you and say, 'My talent matters more to me than the money does,'" she said. "And what I have to say matters more to me than the money does. I know that it's fun being on top and I know it's fun having everybody wish that they were Number One, but having people envy you really isn't fun at all."

...She said that it was difficult being a woman in pop because eventually people stopped taking her seriously as a musician, producer, songwriter and performance artist. "I think that's the thing that poisoned me from 2013 to 2014, or 2012," she said. "[Hearing] 'We just want you to look beautiful' over and over and over again in my head until I just wanted to look ugly all the time, because I'm rebellious. . . . It really crushed me. Like, I've won Grammys now. I've written albums. I've toured the world four times. You're telling me to look beautiful? It's all back to tits and ass? That's so sad."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lady-gagas-sxsw-keynote-im-not-saying-vomit-will-change-the-world-20140314#ixzz2w2Oibfae

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - My Alter Ego - 03-15-2014

^^The first paragraph presents an interesting perspective. It's what she says in the second paragraph that is downright depressing, because it displays that while the music world might not be quite as sexist as it was, oh 30 years ago for example, it's still sexist.

The more some things change, the more this remains the same. Sigh....

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - Miguel - 03-15-2014

Quote:, I've won Grammys now. I've written albums. I've toured the world four times. You're telling me to look beautiful? It's all back to tits and ass?"

^ I think that is about this:

Quote:"Once you have so many people's attention, they think that as a female, it's better for me to make inconsequential music ... and just look beautiful," she said, referring to her handlers.

i.e.,

Quote:"The business (is) always trying to widen your demographic. You have these people, so why not go after them as well ... so you can have more.

T & A Sex will always be used to sell.

[Image: img201010161014241971655937.jpg]

[Image: david-cassidy-rolling-stone-cover.jpg]

[Image: cd0ab9dad8dcc3281f03c67bc630b7ad.jpg]

[Image: timberlake-306x-1364919514.jpg]

[Image: justin_bieber_rolling_stone_cover_a_p.jpg]

[Image: BhjhEtTCEAAQwZq.jpg]

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - My Alter Ego - 03-15-2014

Not what my point was --- but point well taken.

RE: Lady Gaga Plays SXSW: 'You Don't Need a F--king Record Label" - mercfan3 - 03-17-2014

Men can sell sex and still be considered people. Women can't. And if they try to, a lot of times they get a whole lot of negative feedback. (Britney and Christina and Madonna..) That's what the "tits and ass" comment comes from.

You want a good example, take a look at the way Haley was treated versus one of Idol's male hearthrobs. I'm not talking about judges comments. But how about camera angles? How often was the camera focused on part of Haley's body? (A lot, btw) Now, how much was Haley's personality shown? (Not very).

Meanwhile, part of Phillip Phillip's, Kris Allen's etc..appeal was their personality.