The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1409 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1409 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1555 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 472 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 201 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1502 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1502 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1555 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 472 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 201 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
Postmodern Jukebox - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other Musical Subjects (http://haleyfans.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Postmodern Jukebox (/thread-2129.html)

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - riley - 08-27-2015

(08-27-2015, 06:25 PM)Tusk Wrote: I liked Joey from the first time I saw her at the beginning of Idol. Like Bob Dylan, talent comes through even if your voice may not sound 'the best'... as you know, my tastes are eclectic, not genre specific, I like what I like, often it's an instinctual reaction, but I also sense that Joey is 'good people'... talent, youthful enthusiasm and a 'good person' is a potent combination Wink

I liked it too and I agree with your comments about Joey. I never watched Idol this year but the second time I watched the video it I was like - her voice is so unique. I must admit my first listen was meh. I think partially because of the pink hair and gimmicks as John mentioned. She is so young and not the usual PMJ "type" singer it threw me off at first.

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - Tusk - 08-27-2015

(08-27-2015, 07:32 PM)riley Wrote: I must admit my first listen was meh. I think partially because of the pink hair and gimmicks as John mentioned.

I prefer to think of it as she's smartly already created her brand, one that is youthful and 'fun'. exhibit A:

[Image: CNWVeNgUsAAvAAz.jpg]

Quote:Joey Cook⚡️ ‏@IamJoeyCook Aug 26
My new bags finally came in the mail today #chartooncharacterlife

She encourages her fans to send in their artwork of her and responds to them enthusiastically... She doesn't take herself too seriously and invites others to share in her adventure

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - john - 08-27-2015

It looks like Scott is "all in" on Joey. Per his Periscope webcast she made multiple recordings and will be performing with PMJ on tour.

No tour bus for this tour -- flying from city to city. Given the small venues they are tending to play this is probably a money losing tour.

Scott mentioned his birthday is Sep 19th. He will leave Manila that day to fly home...so he gets a double birthday day. Wink

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - john - 08-27-2015

#‎PMJsearch‬ entry
She has some talent. Takes on Creep.

Quote:Jessie Chen ‏@JessieChenSings 2h2 hours ago
The other day I found out that Postmodern Jukebox was looking for a singer. So I thought, why not give it a shot?... http://fb.me/1PW1f6c7j

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - XAtlantic - 08-28-2015

(08-27-2015, 07:32 PM)riley Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 06:25 PM)Tusk Wrote: I liked Joey from the first time I saw her at the beginning of Idol. Like Bob Dylan, talent comes through even if your voice may not sound 'the best'... as you know, my tastes are eclectic, not genre specific, I like what I like, often it's an instinctual reaction, but I also sense that Joey is 'good people'... talent, youthful enthusiasm and a 'good person' is a potent combination Wink

I liked it too and I agree with your comments about Joey. I never watched Idol this year but the second time I watched the video it I was like - her voice is so unique. I must admit my first listen was meh. I think partially because of the pink hair and gimmicks as John mentioned. She is so young and not the usual PMJ "type" singer it threw me off at first.

I also liked Joey "instinctively" from the start, there's just something in her voice and ability that really makes me listen up. This first recording with PMJ, however, I don't know. It's totally ok as it is, but her voice isn't really on the level and meshing with the music as I'd have hoped for, in my opinion (still a nice listen). I had hoped it would get better when I just listen to the audio only (for example I notice with Haley's videos that I discover a lot when I just listen rather than watch, which I prefer anyhow, except that it is so nice to watch Haley), but no, it got worse, to me it sounds like her voice is struggling in parts, and is not in the flow of the instruments as much. Nonetheless, that special quality she has is there, there's something to it, I am still attracted to it despite it all, so I take this as a beginning with growth to come, and look forward to another video. And I agree with Himm, of course, Haley is incomparably richer in her possibilities and tone, but we know that Haley is special, in a class all to herself. By now after PMJ I am more convinced of that than I ever was. But of course music is not about comparisons but about good experiences, so that counts most, and while I don't think this is (for me) an astounding Joey debut, I am still looking forward to more, and this one is what it is. I am happy she's getting a platform here for her creativity and style, which needs an opening in this world of so much boring over-production.

(Fwiw, btw, I think the Haley-Morgan video also shows how sensational Haley is, how it just flows from her like it were nothing, but I really hesitate to even say something like that because the two sound fantastic together, it is 100% cool that they are friends, and that video is just nice A-Z and if anything, this video would be the worst of all places to start with comparisons ... I really enjoyed both of them together, and Morgan too is so fantastically able ... But Haley - again and again ...)

Well, if Scott wants multiple PMJs to tour he does need not only 2-3 sets of first class singers, but particularly also personalities that can create and keep up while on tour that PMJ attitude towards music and fun. Nothing would be more boring than touring Scott-less PMJ clones with no life to them, so perhaps Scott is also looking for groupings that can hold down a PMJ show without the names of the first-rate group, and that requires personality plus ability plus a keen sense of things. He needs new stars where people leave shows fully satisfied even if none of the original stars were there - if he wants to go that route at some point. Maybe Joey belongs to such ideas, for her attitude to music. Scott needs that I think, like with Casey. Maybe also Scott foresees that one or the other of his major stars will break away at some point because their own careers are breaking through and he needs to be ready for fresh energy when that happens. But most of all I think Scott just loves experimenting and reaching out and doing music where and when it sounds good. So, to close my rambling, meandering essay (sorry for that), I like the Joey move.

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - riley - 08-28-2015

Joey was the first person to give him a shout out to millions of people on National TV in the US (plus millions who watch YouTube). I think Scott likes her and she did have success on AI but I also think he is a very loyal person and appreciated the shout out more than we know after being ripped off by other reality TV shows.

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - Tusk - 08-28-2015

(08-27-2015, 10:22 PM)john Wrote: #‎PMJsearch‬ entry
She has some talent. Takes on Creep.

Quote:Jessie Chen ‏@JessieChenSings 2h2 hours ago
The other day I found out that Postmodern Jukebox was looking for a singer. So I thought, why not give it a shot?... http://fb.me/1PW1f6c7j

Actually pretty dang good. It gets a little wonky near the end where Haley normally transcends, in her scatting and improvisation, but otherwise, tempo and tone, very nice.

I was asked yesterday by a fan whose daughter is going to submit a song what song I think she should do..."Creep" "Blank Space" or "Wiggle"?.... my opinion is that unless the daughter completely knows who she is as a singer, I'd stay away from "Creep" mainly because that in most people's minds, they hear Haley's effortless improvisations, that they too could do it, but fail or struggle with the execution. Haley's one of those who makes everything look so easy that anyone who watches her perform thinks they can do it too

If you're going to perform Creep, it must be YOUR interpretation, not Haley's (Unless you have the improvisational Jazz chops to scat your way)

Maybe I'm being too much of a "Stan" and believe that Haley is 'untouchable' when it comes to being covered, but I've seen so many try with underwhelming outcome.

This, bringing PMJ to the people by making it an opportunity for fans is yet another incredibly progressive idea of Scott's along w/ encouraging and use of Social Media to include fans into his family....the man is just sharp as a tac Cool

Don't forget, this is supposedly how Robyn and Christina Gatti joined PMJ before they were PMJ. Amateur talent that Scott recognised and took into his PMJ "vision" Big Grin

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - john - 08-28-2015

(08-28-2015, 06:51 AM)XAtlantic Wrote: (Fwiw, btw, I think the Haley-Morgan video also shows how sensational Haley is, how it just flows from her like it were nothing, but I really hesitate to even say something like that because the two sound fantastic together, it is 100% cool that they are friends, and that video is just nice A-Z and if anything, this video would be the worst of all places to start with comparisons ... I really enjoyed both of them together, and Morgan too is so fantastically able ... But Haley - again and again ...)

I agree they sound fantastic together and I hope they do some more collabs. One of the things that strikes me about the video with Morgan is how totally effortless Haley makes it look. Morgan looks like she is really working at the song, but when I see Haley she looks like she should have a mug of coffee in her left hand. Just kicking back. Yet it all sounds beautiful.

Quote:Well, if Scott wants multiple PMJs to tour he does need not only 2-3 sets of first class singers, but particularly also personalities that can create and keep up while on tour that PMJ attitude towards music and fun. Nothing would be more boring than touring Scott-less PMJ clones with no life to them, so perhaps Scott is also looking for groupings that can hold down a PMJ show without the names of the first-rate group, and that requires personality plus ability plus a keen sense of things. He needs new stars where people leave shows fully satisfied even if none of the original stars were there - if he wants to go that route at some point. Maybe Joey belongs to such ideas, for her attitude to music. Scott needs that I think, like with Casey. Maybe also Scott foresees that one or the other of his major stars will break away at some point because their own careers are breaking through and he needs to be ready for fresh energy when that happens. But most of all I think Scott just loves experimenting and reaching out and doing music where and when it sounds good. So, to close my rambling, meandering essay (sorry for that), I like the Joey move.

I agree that it is not just the voice that matters, PMJ needs pizzazz in its shows and Joey definitely brings a presence. She can get more polished. One nice thing about AI is that Scott can see what a performer brings on a big stage.

(08-28-2015, 10:43 AM)Tusk Wrote: I was asked yesterday by a fan whose daughter is going to submit a song what song I think she should do..."Creep" "Blank Space" or "Wiggle"?.... my opinion is that unless the daughter completely knows who she is as a singer, I'd stay away from "Creep" mainly because that in most people's minds, they hear Haley's effortless improvisations, that they too could do it, but fail or struggle with the execution. Haley's one of those who makes everything look so easy that anyone who watches her perform thinks they can do it too

While listening to videos of people imitating Haley's style on various songs I have often found they may do okay for a while, but then it fails when they try to imitate some of her vocal magic. This has been particularly true with Creep. The renditions tend to crash and burn at a certain point, or the singer has to abandon copying her style in parts and that may take things in a different direction that doesn't necessarily fit well.

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - Tusk - 08-28-2015

On his periscope, Scott promised Behind the Scenes video of Joey's experience w/ PMJ

Quote:Scott Bradlee ‏@scottbradlee 9m9 minutes ago
I sat down with @IamJoeyCook after our video to ask the tough ?s and to try out the accordion- watch the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIcJlwy-Lg

RE: Postmodern Jukebox - buzzenator - 08-28-2015

(08-28-2015, 06:51 AM)XAtlantic Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 07:32 PM)riley Wrote:

I also liked Joey "instinctively" from the start, there's just something in her voice and ability that really makes me listen up. This first recording with PMJ, however, I don't know. It's totally ok as it is, but her voice isn't really on the level and meshing with the music as I'd have hoped for, in my opinion (still a nice listen). I had hoped it would get better when I just listen to the audio only (for example I notice with Haley's videos that I discover a lot when I just listen rather than watch, which I prefer anyhow, except that it is so nice to watch Haley), but no, it got worse, to me it sounds like her voice is struggling in parts, and is not in the flow of the instruments as much. Nonetheless, that special quality she has is there, there's something to it, I am still attracted to it despite it all, so I take this as a beginning with growth to come, and look forward to another video. And I agree with Himm, of course, Haley is incomparably richer in her possibilities and tone, but we know that Haley is special, in a class all to herself. By now after PMJ I am more convinced of that than I ever was. But of course music is not about comparisons but about good experiences, so that counts most, and while I don't think this is (for me) an astounding Joey debut, I am still looking forward to more, and this one is what it is. I am happy she's getting a platform here for her creativity and style, which needs an opening in this world of so much boring over-production.

(Fwiw, btw, I think the Haley-Morgan video also shows how sensational Haley is, how it just flows from her like it were nothing, but I really hesitate to even say something like that because the two sound fantastic together, it is 100% cool that they are friends, and that video is just nice A-Z and if anything, this video would be the worst of all places to start with comparisons ... I really enjoyed both of them together, and Morgan too is so fantastically able ... But Haley - again and again ...)

Well, if Scott wants multiple PMJs to tour he does need not only 2-3 sets of first class singers, but particularly also personalities that can create and keep up while on tour that PMJ attitude towards music and fun. Nothing would be more boring than touring Scott-less PMJ clones with no life to them, so perhaps Scott is also looking for groupings that can hold down a PMJ show without the names of the first-rate group, and that requires personality plus ability plus a keen sense of things. He needs new stars where people leave shows fully satisfied even if none of the original stars were there - if he wants to go that route at some point. Maybe Joey belongs to such ideas, for her attitude to music. Scott needs that I think, like with Casey. Maybe also Scott foresees that one or the other of his major stars will break away at some point because their own careers are breaking through and he needs to be ready for fresh energy when that happens. But most of all I think Scott just loves experimenting and reaching out and doing music where and when it sounds good. So, to close my rambling, meandering essay (sorry for that), I like the Joey move.

Loved the ramble...smoking a stogie at the lake...it all makes sense to me with a bourbon chaser Tongue