The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
"CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE" for Extra Gum - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Haley Reinhart (http://haleyfans.com/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: "CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE" for Extra Gum (/thread-2325.html)

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Miguel - 10-30-2015

The ad agency said they listened to "all three zillion" covers. So presumably
they liked what Ingrid did and used it as the model for what they wanted.

We first discussed the similarity to Ingrid's version on Oct 12th:

http://haleyfans.com/showthread.php?tid=2325&pid=53035#pid53035

I said then,
Quote:I can understand a fan of Ingrid's being upset she wasn't given the opportunity, or credit. Consider how we felt about The Voice and "Creep."

Of course, from Ingrid's POV it's also a lost opportunity in terms of exposure and income.

Prior to today, I have been wondering how the other artists the ad agency commissioned to record demos for the spot have felt given the attention it has brought Haley.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - mercfan3 - 10-30-2015

The Ingrid cover is somewhat iconic actually.

But I'm going to say what I've said before. If a person create a cover to an original song, it's nice to give that person credit. But it's not necessary. It's not Ingrid's song, just like it's not PMJ's song (when that happens to them.)

They liked Haley's voice better. Hopefully Ingrid gets some attention for her beautiful cover. But the commercial nor Haley owes her anything.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Himm2 - 10-30-2015

Sour grapes...and the Ingrid version is more suitable for a Funeral than a Love story.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - BrandHaley - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 01:04 PM)Miguel Wrote: The ad agency said they listened to "all three zillion" covers. So presumably
they liked what Ingrid did and used it as the model for what they wanted.

We first discussed the similarity to Ingrid's version on Oct 12th:

http://haleyfans.com/showthread.php?tid=2325&pid=53035#pid53035

I said then,
Quote:I can understand a fan of Ingrid's being upset she wasn't given the opportunity, or credit. Consider how we felt about The Voice and "Creep."

Of course, from Ingrid's POV it's also a lost opportunity in terms of exposure and income.

Prior to today, I have been wondering how the other artists the ad agency commissioned to record demos for the spot have felt given the attention it has brought Haley.

Well I disagree a bit . . . I don't think TPTB incorporated anything Ingrid-esque to what was requested of Haley.

I refrained from saying anything back on the 12th regarding Haley's rendition allegedly being a ripoff of Ingrid's, because I thought it would just go away, but apparently it has a bit of a life of its own.
However, I can certainly understand how Ingrid and her fans might cry "foul," given the outcome Haley has had, but not from reason.

There should be two things common to all renditions of a song: melody and lyrics. In this case, all renditions/arrangements should have a recognizable similarity to, in this case, Elvis. If there are a hundred covers, they should in a sense all sound "alike" i.e. a recognizable melody and proper adherance to the lyrics. So in this sense ALL covers are going to sound somewhat alike, including Haley and Ingrid.

The added task that accompanies this song is that in some way you have to differentiate it from Elvis . . . cuz you're not Elvis! So all these covers are going to sound, to a reasonable degree, "like Elvis, only different!" The very lovely Kat Mcphee did a beautiful rendition of this song on Idol and got skewered by Simon for doing too much to it. Similarly, Ingrid, IMO, over did it as well, in her effort for differentiation. Most importantly for this issue, the change-up was NOT copied by Haley.

Ingrid decided to change the timing--different from tempo--by singing on the half-beat, like this: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &, for most of the song. It is not wrong . . . just different (from Elvis). She plays the piano on the beat and sings between the beats; kind of an echo effect.

Haley, and Elvis!, sang ON the beat like: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. That is a major contrast to Ingrid's treatment. And more could be said about the way Ingrid switched-up the melody in the latter half of the song. Beautiful . . . but different.

Haley actually sings it much closer to Elvis than to Ingrid! Why is she not being lambasted for the "closeness?" I think it's due to two things: first, her voice and timbre (rasp) is just so different that IMO it simply does not sound like it is coming from the same kind of creature! [OK, I'm a Halien . . . don't expect a lot of objectivity from me!] I think she could have sung exactly like Elvis and, if he were alive--big if, I know, he would hug her and thank her for her art!

The second understated unique element that she uses to differentiate herself is that word we have learned was part of her commission: sparseness! Instead of going over the top like we all know she could have easily done, she stripped it down to a pure simplicity that scores of millions of people around the world [that's kinda fun to type!!!] have embraced, who, even without the gum ad would have still been in puddles of tears.

For these reasons I don't think Ingrid or her fans have much to complain about. If she were not part of the "auditioned covers" she would be justifiably irked for being overlooked, but that's not anything related to Haley.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - NUG - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 03:14 PM)Himm2 Wrote: Sour grapes...and the Ingrid version is more suitable for a Funeral than a Love story.

Agreed - I didn't like that cover at all

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - kkong - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 03:52 PM)BrandHaley Wrote: Well I disagree a bit . . .

For these reasons I don't think Ingrid or her fans have much to complain about. If she were not part of the "auditioned covers" she would be justifiably irked for being overlooked, but that's not anything related to Haley.
Great post. Thanks

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - NUG - 10-30-2015

I can see their soft quiet voices are similar, but IMO Haley brings so much more to the song. I like her timing better, I like the fact it sounds more like pure, sweet young love - the other version doesn't bring that to the song at all. Haleys voice is so amazing there's just no comparison for me. Heart

....and just in this moment I saw it on TV for the first time HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Jastal - 10-30-2015

For me it's all about Haley's voice... and to me there is no comparison. I would like the song no matter the arrangement because her distincitve voice, tone and style are what sets it apart.

It's silly...like an artist who paints a landscape to complain when others paint the same landscape.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - mercfan3 - 10-30-2015

Ingrid and Haley sing it differently, but the arrangement is almost identical. That's the comparison.

A fanbase that made a huge deal about The Voice using PMJ's arrangement should be understanding. Ingrid and her fans are annoyed the same way Scott and his fans were annoyed. If one's "wrong" the other was too. (In fact, Haley's version is much closer to Ingrid's, than Kim's was to Haley's.) And it doesn't seem like any of them are holding it against Haley. (Remember, I'm solidly on "not wrong"..would be nice to give credit where credit is due, but not wrong.)

That all being said, it goes back to the fact that Ingrid is not the original singer. Yes, she has a beautiful cover that has influenced other covers. Yes, this one is based on her cover. But it's not her song. But it's Haley's vocal that makes it special. (Just like in Creep.) I'm sure they heard Ingrid's version. If they were going for this song in the commercial, there is no way they missed it. But it's Haley's voice that won them over.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - dswim2 - 10-30-2015

I just saw the commercial during the World Series!