The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
"CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE" for Extra Gum - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Haley Reinhart (http://haleyfans.com/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: "CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE" for Extra Gum (/thread-2325.html)

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Tusk - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 06:33 PM)mercfan3 Wrote: A fanbase that made a huge deal about The Voice using PMJ's arrangement should be understanding. Ingrid and her fans are annoyed the same way Scott and his fans were annoyed. If one's "wrong" the other was too. (In fact, Haley's version is much closer to Ingrid's, than Kim's was to Haley's.) And it doesn't seem like any of them are holding it against Haley.

Then I guess I'm consistent... my contention w/ the Voice scenario was more about THE VOICE taking from a 'just released' arrangement, fresh, barely a chance for PMJ to realise their full popularity, when the Voice decided to swoop in and 'claim it' through Kim. It turned towards Kim when she engaged, denied then became somewhat combative about it. IMO, the whole presentation by the voice was purposeful about 'lifting' PMJ's product for their own because it was HOT at the time (aka get more votes for Kim)

Further from the incident, I see that Kim is basically that way. "I'm Rude, crass and will shove my opinion because I'm Rock and Roll...." which is fine, if that's how you want to be about it, but it certainly didn't ingratiate her to me.

My upset was that Haley's/PMJ's arrangement barely was fresh out of the bakery before the Voice behemoth swooped in and put out their own version, basically swallowing up PMJ's version by their sheer size of reach... the 'right' thing to do was at least give them credit

Ingrid's version has been out for 7? years (released 2008) Plenty of time to gather what ever fame or acclaim it warranted.... whereas PMJ had months before The Voice swooped in.

Seven years have passed, I'd guess most people who heard Haley's version probably never heard Ingrid's , more likely thought "Elvis" than "Ingrid" when they heard it for the first time....

OTOH like PMJ, I understood Ingrid's disapointment at the lost opportunity for exposure and possibly money. The two versions are very similar. That being said, Haley's execution and tone are, I know I'm biased, better than Ingrid's for the tone that Wrigley's wanted for their ad. Haley was being paid to do a job, simple as that. There was no 'stealing' on her part, she was asked and gave them exactly what they needed. If anything I'd guess Ingrid was more upset at what Wrigley did by using a similar arrangement, than at Haley

In general, I agree w/ you, I'm not a fan of the mob mentality attack frenzy that can sometimes rear it's head in social media, my upset was mostly about The Voice taking over and suffocating "Creep's" potential growth.... that being said, I don't think Ingrid's disappointment in thinking she was 'done wrong' by Wrigley, deserved the continuous and hours of social media 'attacks' that she got.... All she did was express disapointment Tongue

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Himm2 - 10-30-2015

Just saw the 30 second version on ABC's "Shark Tank"!!!

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - BrandHaley - 10-30-2015

Reportedly this sensitive rendition somehow did not make the final cut?!?

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/red-fang-cant-help-falling-in-love

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Miguel - 10-30-2015

Nice comment on one of the self-proclaimed "official" videos:

Quote:I can recognize her unique and beautiful voice anywhere. I saw a gum commercial and heard this song and knew it lol! Love her, great talent.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Haleylvr4evr - 10-30-2015

I have never heard Ingrid's version of the song (Honestly I don't remember ever hearing the original Elvis song.....) but I think she is overreacting about this. Sure both covers are similar but how much different can it be when you only have a piano playing? Obviously they will be a comparison with the musical arrangement and female voices. I think she is jealous for how much popularity came from Haley's version of the song.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - john - 10-30-2015

I think I missed the overreacting part.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - mercfan3 - 10-30-2015

I just think it's similar circumstances, the ad agency wanted a beautiful cover of "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You." It's clearly based off of Ingrid's version. Ingrid is an Independent artist, meaning once again, we have an example of a large corporation taking a song arrangement from "the little guy."

In general, I understand it's the nature of covers. People who create arrangements of already written songs get annoyed when others use them...but the arrangement is for a cover song. So I always fall under the "this is kind of silly..you're upset someone copied you after you copied someone else.." It's how I felt then, and It's how I feel now. (Other than freaking out for a moment because Christina Freaking Aguilera not only knows who Haley is, but clearly thinks highly of her voice. ) And I'd go even further as to say, that in every cover, it's the vocal that distinguishes songs. And Ingrid, Haley, and Kim can all sing the exact same song and the exact same arrangement, and they'd all sound like three different songs because their voices aren't anything a like. So to me, arrangements are complimentary, the vocalist is the star. In ICHFILWY, Haley's vocal is what makes the song a masterpiece. The arrangement is beautiful, and allows her to do it..but it's Haley's vocal that sets that song a part. And I think that's true in general. Arrangements can be really cool, but the voice has to make the cover special.

And I also say this because I think it's very likely that a contestant on The Voice will cover a version of ICHFILWY this season. And it will sound a lot like Haley's. (Because there are contestants, at least three, whose voices fit that cover like a glove). And I'm hoping there's no "outrage" this time. Especially considering it's not even really Haley's cover. Tongue

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Jastal - 10-31-2015

Very well said mercfan3!

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - rmd1064 - 10-31-2015

(10-30-2015, 09:11 PM)mercfan3 Wrote: So to me, arrangements are complimentary, the vocalist is the star. In ICHFILWY, Haley's vocal is what makes the song a masterpiece. The arrangement is beautiful, and allows her to do it..but it's Haley's vocal that sets that song a part. And I think that's true in general. Arrangements can be really cool, but the voice has to make the cover special.

Very well said MercFan3. The other important element here is that the Wrigley team was looking for a newer artist. The Billboard article says:

"The fact that Reinhart was a developing act was also appealing. “We’re really trying to make strides in the music space, and this is one of the ways we can do that,” says Kuypers. “We’re very cognizant of using someone who is in their career arc and if we can be a pivotal moment for them, we want to do that.”

Ingrid Michaelson is 35 and has released six CDs. So, I don't believe Ingrid is what they were looking for anyway as she is an established artist. And as Mercfan3 put it, it is the VOICE that makes it so special.

RE: Haley Reinhart for Extra Gum: "Can't Help Falling in Love" - buzzenator - 10-31-2015

(10-30-2015, 03:52 PM)BrandHaley Wrote: Well I disagree a bit . . . I don't think TPTB incorporated anything Ingrid-esque to what was requested of Haley.

[OK, I'm a Halien . . . don't expect a lot of objectivity from me!]

...she stripped it down to a pure simplicity that scores of millions of people around the world [that's kinda fun to type!!!] have embraced, who, even without the gum ad would have still been in puddles of tears.

Halien humor at its best! Tongue Loved the post too.

(10-30-2015, 07:35 PM)BrandHaley Wrote: Reportedly this sensitive rendition somehow did not make the final cut?!?

https://soundcloud.com/relapserecords/red-fang-cant-help-falling-in-love

Wrigley must have missed this one...fortunate for Haley! Rolleyes