The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
The Better Era - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Haley Reinhart (http://haleyfans.com/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: The Better Era (/thread-2423.html)

RE: The Better Era - NUG - 04-09-2016

I've come to learn Better ( like all songs in general ) is just a matter of opinion My case: Haley opened in Denver Thursday with My Cake which is my favorite, and 3 songs later sang Better. My husband commented on how she, " started slow with the first song, but it picked up right after, and especially with Better". It's all a matter of taste, and I just hope Better or some other song from the album gets another placement and subsequent radio play. Maybe cynical, but I still think it's a miracle she's even on the radio with no label backing (paying for it), and she's right, this album is mainly a gift to us, because we've been waiting and promoting and traveling and loving her for so long with no new material (well...PMJ was a life saver last year). I'm just takng Better the Album as it was intended, a gift to me, a chance to squeee over new songs, and just continue to love Haley. If she gets one of the songs on the radio or a new label/3rd album out of it, well so much the Better.

RE: The Better Era - mercfan3 - 04-09-2016

I'm excited for Listen, and it's my favorite of the new songs I've heard. But "Better" is definitely near the top. (I think "Cake" is my least favorite..but I haven't heard the full version either.) And I like it significantly better with full band rather than acoustic.

And yea, I don't expect huge radio play (although, she might get some after "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You..) And she does have an online presence, which has helped Melanie Martinez significantly. (Although, her online presence is partially because of Atlantic) But I'm treating this like a gift for the fans, which is seems to be from Haley's POV.

But, the intention of this album from Ole's perspective, is to get Haley's name out there and find her a label. That's what Red Dot is. And between PMJ and ICHFILWY ..my guess is the decision is more about what Haley wants rather than labels that are after her. And I'd be willing to bet Haley, her management, and Ole will make the right choice. (As I expect Haley still wants to be signed to a label, or she wouldn't be working in this way with Ole.)

RE: The Better Era - JMT - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 07:20 AM)Jastal Wrote: While IMO Better is just ok (as a song), the studio version is a pretty good showcase of her voice. I especially like the beginning of the song. My hope is that the next song released will be her game changer.

As to the reviewers comments, my view is that Haley has such incredible vocal skills, that when you don't hear them to a great extent on a studio version of a song you might be somewhat disappointed. I know I fell victim to that on some of Listen Up! However, as Jastal points out, you DO hear them more on this version of Better-- and I'm sure that in live performances with a band, you would even more. Certainly one of the reasons (possibly THE main reason) CHFIL became so popular is because of those vocal chops. I'm hoping that on the rest of the album we'll have some songs which are more raw and less produced-- from a vocal standpoint. I have always felt Listen Up! was overproduced-- even though I still listen to it.

I think the 'sound' of Better is more raw, edgy and funky, and is the next evolution in the sound she wants to achieve. Of course, that is probably a moving target-- as she herself points out in that interview.

Will Better get played on the radio? I have no idea. When I first heard CHFIL I believed it was great, but thought, "This is cool, but which radio stations would play it!" Boy was I wrong, and the first time I heard it unexpectantly on the radio was a great moment for being a Halien. Haley is clearly targeting young women with this song (and album), and of course, she is one herself, so maybe it will gain some traction? Certainly she has earned the 'capital' with CHFIL and other placements to sign with a label (if one is right for her) no matter how popular the album becomes.

RE: The Better Era - john - 04-09-2016

It is interesting to see how Haley and her new music are described online. This is from "Trendio."

Quote:It’s been a bit of an emotional night for us American Idol fans. Tonight, the last-ever episode of the phenomenal talent show aired and all the memories came flooding back.

Remember Haley Reinhart? The starlet that was ROBBED in the tenth season of the show? After a run in with her label and never really having her career take off afterwards, Reinhart took a bit of a hiatus from mainstream music – keeping her love for music alive via YouTube covers with the famed Postmodern Jukebox !

Today, after Can’t Help Falling in Love, the song that put her back on the map, Reinhart returns with “Better,” a thumping ballad with Reinhart‘s powerhouse vocals coasting atop an impeccaible drum soundscape.

“Better” is set to appear on an album with the same title, due out Apr 29. Listen to the track below!...

Popshock
Quote:American Idol alum and mastermind/voice behind some of the best cover versions in recent history, Haley Reinhart debuts the title track from her upcoming 2nd album ‘Better’ (out 29th April 2016). It’s a stunning rock-infused anthem that draws inspiration from Janis and Alanis, but Haley’s signature growl is in full force here. Stream the track below and read our exclusive interview with Haley here!

RE: The Better Era - john - 04-09-2016

Regarding Peter Daines review of “Better”

We have all heard Haley demonstrate her remarkable vocal control, beautiful tone, and amazing range numerous times. I recall the first time I heard her sing Creep I was stunned. I knew she would kill it, but it was still a jaw dropping experience that exceeded my expectations. She brought the magic that Jimmy Iovine mentioned on Idol.

As JMT suggested, I think people tend to expect her songs to be infused with something amazing – some magic. Better is a solid rocker. Her vocals are tight and vintage Haley, and it’s great to hear her sing with the power of the band behind her. But she stays inside the lines and I don’t find any signature “moments” that amaze the listener. The music tends to be a wall of sound, and only occasionally and briefly do the sounds of individual instruments pop out in pleasing ways.

I did not hear major differences in the way Haley sang Better in Portland versus the studio cut, as is suggested in the review. However, I think this song is well suited to live performances, and I can imagine a lot of little musical and vocal changeups that delight and engage audiences.

Ultimately, Peter’s message seems to be for Haley to sing it, ah, better. In my head I hear JLo Undecided trying to justify her trashing of Haley on Earth Song – “This is why we can’t take it easy on you – look what you’re capable of!” While Haley has a voice that is quite capable of bringing chills and “feels”, I don’t think it is fair to expect her perform every song in some mind blowing way. Better is a good song and definitely a worthy selection for the album, although I don’t see it doing much as a single. I hope they don’t overly commit to pushing that one song if it doesn’t grab a lot of interest quickly.

RE: The Better Era - Miguel - 04-09-2016

People fall in love with Haley's voice when she sings songs with a slower tempo because her voice invites them in and the slower pacing allows her to play with the notes more delicately. It's not realistic to expect her to always perform in that manner. "Better" is a demonstration of her musicality beyond just her vocal control.

RE: The Better Era - Tusk - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 02:10 PM)Miguel Wrote: It's not realistic to expect her do always do that. "Better" is a demonstration of her musicality beyond just her vocal control.

It's also not realistic to think a recording will be 'better' than hearing an improvisational vocalist the calibre of Haley sing live. It's about the marketability of Haley and her songs AND about getting people to come out and hear those vocal chops live, meet and greets and merchandising

RE: The Better Era - Jastal - 04-09-2016

Very good points john and Miguel! I agree completely. Also, let's not forget the song itself. We know that she can lift a good/great song like no other, but not every song is going to be able to take you there. There may not be another song sung by Haley quite like CREEP, and expecting it is not fair. Personally, I love her variety of sounds and would rather she take risks and not feel pressure to hit a home run every time.

I am really curious whether she will scat on the LP. Of the songs we know, My Cake (a favorite) is the best candidate and I am hopeful, since she is doing it consistently in live performances. I think it would be a risk, so we shall see.

RE: The Better Era - JMT - 04-09-2016

I'm very much expecting a variety of tunes on this second album. You already have the delicate CHFIL and the rocking BETTER. I've been wondering about the arrangement for LIWFF-- seems to me it could go either way. It's my personal favorite of the one's we've heard so far. With the right instrumentation it could sound like something Adele would sing. Just my opinion.

It would be cool to have a jazzier tune, with the scatting Jastal mentions. She says the album is for her fans, so why not give something for everyone? A number of those involved with the project seem VERY happy and proud with the final result-- so that is exciting to hear.

Interesting comment about the inspiration from Janis and Alanis.

RE: The Better Era - Tusk - 04-09-2016

Regarding Scatting on the album... Haley liked(favorited) this tweet....

Quote:Carlos ‏@ZeGrowl Apr 6
@HaleyReinhart Sneeze (or favorite this tweet) if the studio recording of "My Cake" has scatting included. Smile