The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Haley Reinhart Forum
The Better Era - Printable Version

+- Haley Reinhart Forum (http://haleyfans.com)
+-- Forum: Topics (http://haleyfans.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Haley Reinhart (http://haleyfans.com/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: The Better Era (/thread-2423.html)

RE: The Better Era - NUG - 04-09-2016

I wonder when she'll release the video?

RE: The Better Era - john - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 09:11 PM)NUG Wrote: I wonder when she'll release the video?

I hope they don't wait too long. That should be cool.

RE: The Better Era - lovinghaleyr - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 09:03 AM)NUG Wrote: I've come to learn Better ( like all songs in general ) is just a matter of opinion My case: Haley opened in Denver Thursday with My Cake which is my favorite, and 3 songs later sang Better. My husband commented on how she, " started slow with the first song, but it picked up right after, and especially with Better". It's all a matter of taste, and I just hope Better or some other song from the album gets another placement and subsequent radio play. Maybe cynical, but I still think it's a miracle she's even on the radio with no label backing (paying for it), and she's right, this album is mainly a gift to us, because we've been waiting and promoting and traveling and loving her for so long with no new material (well...PMJ was a life saver last year). I'm just takng Better the Album as it was intended, a gift to me, a chance to squeee over new songs, and just continue to love Haley. If she gets one of the songs on the radio or a new label/3rd album out of it, well so much the Better.
Yes NUG,I'm agree 100% with that

RE: The Better Era - john - 04-09-2016

The Prelude Press
Quote:Haley Reinhart Releases Title Track "Better"

LA-based singer/songwriter & former American Idol finalist HALEY REINHART has released the lead single & title track from her forthcoming new album Better, which is available for pre-order now on iTunes and comes with an instant download of the track. The track premiered yesterday exclusively at Teen Vogue, who calls it “your new ultimate rock-n-roll breakup track.” The new album will be available on April 29th on Ole and Red Dot, and Reinhart will head out on a national tour starting June 3rd to support its release.

Haley is coming off the recent success of her cover of Elvis Presley’s classic “Can’t Help Falling in Love With You,” which sold 177,000 units, amassed 15 million streams on Spotify, and reached #1 on Spotify’s Global viral chart last year, along with landing a feature in the popular Extra gum commercial “The Story of Sarah and Juan.” Additionally, the track is currently #18 on the Mediabase AC chart and #38 on the Hot AC chart.
http://www.thepreludepress.com/news/2016/4/8/haley-reinhart-releases-title-track-better

Quote:...Spotify pays out $6,000 to $8,400 per million listens, compared with $3,000 for a “video streaming service” such as YouTube and $1,300 to $1,500 for a “radio streaming service” such as Pandora....
http://www.spin.com/2013/12/spotify-details-royalty-payouts-cents/

Quote:The RIAA recognizes the following Digital Single Award tiers:
Gold – 500,000 Units...

Units are defined as follows:
 Each permanent digital download counts as 1 Unit for certification purposes.
 150 on-demand audio and/or video streams will count as 1 Unit for certification
purposes.

http://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/DIGITAL-SINGLE-AWARD-RIAA-AND-GRF-CERTIFICATION-AUDIT-REQUIREMENTS.pdf

RE: The Better Era - Miguel - 04-10-2016

Tweet in Danish:

Quote:En lækker lille soulpopsang som rammer 100 % rent. Den stemme smelter mig. Album kom!

Translation:

Quote:A delicious little soul-pop song hitting 100 % pure. The voice melts me. Album (coming)!

RE: The Better Era - splody - 04-10-2016

So excited for the album, already pre-ordered because Haley's the only person I buy music from hehe Angel.

I wonder if there's going to be a deluxe version? I'd LOVE for "You Were There" to be on it, it's probably my all-time favourite. Very excited for the new songs we haven't heard yet Big Grin.

P.S. The Album cover art looks AMAZING

RE: The Better Era - NUG - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 04:42 AM)splody Wrote: So excited for the album, already pre-ordered because Haley's the only person I buy music from hehe Angel.

Same here Big Grin

RE: The Better Era - Tom22 - 04-10-2016

(04-08-2016, 07:31 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 04:08 PM)hotuofi1 Wrote: To be honest, I wish she would have went with a different lead single - "Better" the song for me isn't a hit. Of her new song's I have heard, "LIWFF" or "Listen" are stronger. Either way, I obviously bought the album and and am hoping for success!

I absolutely agree with this, and I've always maintained that for me, Better is the weakest of her new songs.

I think Better is a pretty darn catchy song..

I like it a lot but I'm still at odds with the key chorus phrase "I threw your ring into the ocean"

I'm like singing the song to my self after hearing it and then I"m like.. "I don't even want to say that" ...

I'd prefer "i blew your head off with my 44" haha, because I can take that 100% figuratively...very clearly hyperbole. It's just too easy to think of someone actually throwing a ring into the ocean and, even worse, it's something that smacks of a temperamental fit rather than a different sort of "i'm wise now" sort of rejection.

Sometimes when something just misses it's tougher for me. I don't like Hoziers "take me to church" and turn the radio off when it comes on... I can handle sacrilegious punk rock and I can really enjoy "Jesus takes the wheel" but when someone casts what -I- consider a misleading or differing way of worship it's like more damaging that dismissing it.

I really like the "my mother don't like you and she likes everyone" in the JB song .. cracks me up ... way of being over someone...

But like everyone here has said , different people like different things.

I really like the tune to "Better" and I disagree with the radio host that says it doesn't show off Haley's voice. Sometimes I think Haley has been bordering on too many affectations, graceful and musical as they are. Norah Jones has all sorts of vocal tricks to color notes and give meaning without it ever being gratuitous. Adele and Kelly Clarkson have enormous voices but they hit the big notes in such a way I never feel it's like "hey look what I can do". At times Haley has been sort of walking that line but it fits the character of the persona she takes on in "creep". Sia's "Chandelier" is a demonstration of vocal acrobatics I found initially distracting but they fit the lyrics painting an out of control person and the nature of swinging from the chandelier.

Better is a good song for me and I think what Haley brings to it with her voice is exactly right.. I just wish I could personally get by the verse, even though I know it's meant as a healthy expression of liberation from a bad situation.

ps.. bigger issue .. finally heard the studio version. I agree with the criticisms I read that said it was too much of the "listen up" sound ... I really wish she did the same song more imitating the accompaniment of sam smith or the new justin beiber songs. There is a time and a place and better stay with the heard in terms of "in colors" if you're looking for a song to chart.

CHFILWY had the sparse piano accompaniment that I think fits today's sound better.

RE: The Better Era - mercfan3 - 04-10-2016

Haley is authentically old school. She can modernize her old school sound..but that is just who is is as an artist, IMO.

Sam Smith and Justin Bieber are different genres all together, but in effect..they do the same thing as Haley does. It is just that their "retro" sound is 90s R&B, it's not 50s/60s R&B/classic rock/blues/jazz. I don't see a problem with her sound. Amy Winehouse, Adele, Duffy, Norah Jones yada yada are all similar to Haley.

RE: The Better Era - Miguel - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 11:30 AM)Tom22 Wrote: ...it's something that smacks of a temperamental fit rather than a different sort of "i'm wise now" sort of rejection.

I don't interpret it that way. She did it after driving back to "the 818" (Los Angeles), so I see it as the act that finalized her new-found freedom. It might seem less temperamental though if the lyrics said "tossed" instead of "threw."

(04-10-2016, 11:30 AM)Tom22 Wrote: I really wish she did the same song more imitating the accompaniment of sam smith or the new justin beiber songs. There is a time and a place and better stay with the herd in terms of "in colors" if you're looking for a song to chart.

Maybe. Maybe not. There's something to be said for staying true to yourself, and zigging when everyone else is zagging. It's hard to stand out as a new "me-too" act.

A couple of artists in the country music arena who have recently made a name for themselves:

Is Sturgill Simpson Country Music's Savior?

Quote: Jennings, the son of Waylon Jennings, has been a fan of Simpson's work since his days in the group Sunday Valley and is wowed by the musical similarity to his legendary father — however unintentional it may be.

..."Sturgill isn't imitating at all, and he sounds like my favorite era of my dad, the Seventies, when he would sing quieter and more conversational. That's what struck me about Sturgill from Day One. And still does."

Kacey Musgraves Is Making Country Music Good Again

Quote:I wasn’t a producer at the time, and I went home and told my partner, ‘I met a girl tonight, and if I was ever going to make that leap [to produce], I wish that it was with her.’ I’d never been so hit in the face with somebody just sitting there with her guitar, singing things back to me. I was just like, ‘This is the combination of every artist that has formed my musical path. From Lee Ann Womack to Willie to Dolly, the people that I have been obsessed with, they’re all rolled up right here in Kacey.’ It’s not what’s on the radio right now, but I would like to think that we’re working to change that. Those choruses, and the way she sings? It’s all right there, the singalong-ability of commercial pop songs of all of our history.”

Quote:Musgraves was never concerned with being on the radio. “There was this cycle in Nashville where if you were a girl, you had to be really sassy: ‘You cheated on me, so I’m going to burn your house down,’” she says, seeming to refer to Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood, two of the only women that get consistent country radio play these days. “I’ve never felt a kinship to those kinds of songs. I love John Prine, his witty turns of phrase. I love Glenn Campbell, Marty Robbins, Loretta Lynn. There was this really imaginative and whimsical period of country music where instead of trying to match a trend, people became popular because they were unique. There wasn’t a basket of four subject matters.

This part made me think of Haley:

Quote:Pageant Material is ironic: it’s what Musgraves feels she’s not. “Especially for women, you need a certain face at award shows when you lose or you’re an asshole,” she says. “You can’t have a potty mouth or an opinion. In the South, getting judged on superficial stuff is a real thing. And I’m not attacking the people that might get something positive out of pageantry; I’m just not into being judged in that way.” Paraphrasing the album’s title track, she adds, “I’d rather lose for what I am than win for something that I’m not.”