The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1997 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1997 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 665 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 813 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 416 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1114 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(484) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(484) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 484 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 672 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 672 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 757 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 757 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 762 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 762 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 887 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 887 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1555 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1555 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 33 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1587 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 41 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 41 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 82 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 82 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread_deleted - Line: 107 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 107 errorHandler->error

Haley Reinhart and The Caine Mutiny
05-02-2019, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM by Miguel.)
Haley Reinhart and The Caine Mutiny
Saw this in a Rolling Stone article that mentioned the Mazda commercial featuring Haley:  

Quote:For Mazda, a version of the Cranberries’ “Dreams” ... you hire mimics to make it sound as close to the real thing as possible, which is very close, but not close enough to keep you from realizing you’re being fooled, that what you’re hearing is real fake news, not close enough to keep you from feeling not only that the commercial wants your money but that it’s already stolen it. 

That led me to look up the author, GREIL MARCUS. He's a 73-yr-old "rock critic for Rolling Stone, Creem, the Village Voice and Pitchfork." 

This part of his bio caught my interest.

Quote:His father, a U.S. naval officer, died in December 1944, in the Philippine typhoon that sank the USS_Hull, on which he was serving as second-in-command. Admiral ]William Halsey had ordered the U.S. Third Fleet to sail into Typhoon Cobra "to see what they were made of," and, despite the crew's urging, Gerstley refused to disobey the order, arguing that there had never been a mutiny in the history of the U.S. Navy. The incident inspired the novel The_Caine_Mutiny.

The official account:

Quote:After the Hull was ordered to change course to 140 degrees, ostensibly by Admiral Halsey "to see what they were doing," the wind increased to over 100 knots. At about 11:00 hours, on 18 December, the Hull became locked "in irons", in the trough of the mountainous sea.

Rescue work by USS Tabberer and other ships of the fleet in the days that followed saved the lives of 7 officers, including the captain of the ship, and 55 enlisted sailors. 11 officers of the Hull, including the executive officer, and 191 enlisted sailors perished in the sea. In all, 790 men of the Fleet lost their lives in the typhoon.

The subsequent Court of Inquiry  found that though Halsey had committed an "error of judgement" in sailing the Third Fleet into the heart of the typhoon, it stopped short of unambiguously recommending sanction. Admiral Nimitz, Commander in Chief U.S. Pacific Fleet, presented a six-page document to the Court, stating in his conclusion, among other recommendations directed strictly to ships' commanders, that "steps must be taken to insure that commanding officers of all vessels, particularly destroyers and smaller craft, are fully aware of the stability characteristics of their ships; that adequate security measures regarding water-tight integrity are enforced; and that the effect upon stability of free liquid surfaces is thoroughly understood".

Greil never knew much about his father because he died six months before he was born. 

Quote:Greil was an unescapable name—I always had to explain it, but I really had nothing to tell. The story of the Hull was not told in my family. There were no pictures of my father Greil Gerstley in my house. When I visited my Philadelphia family, there were pictures, but I felt furtive, unfaithful, criminal, when I looked at them, and no one ever offered me a picture of my own to keep.

Quote:A few years ago, my father—my second father —called to say there was a documentary on the Hull on the Weather Channel. I watched it, alone; when my wife came home, I said, "I just saw my father die." He wasn't in the film: rather, survivors from the Hull spoke over stock footage and still photos of the typhoon that destroyed over eight hundred men from their ship and from the two more that went down in the same storm. You saw their Navy photos, as they were in 1944; you saw them now, smiling, laughing, sober, crying, speaking of the countless men who made it into the open sea with life jackets, and who, when they were found, had nothing of themselves left below the waist—countless men eaten alive by sharks.

Then, two years ago, a writer named Bruce Henderson got in touch with me. He was looking for information about Greil Gerstley for a book on the Hull. Was I perhaps named for him by a friend? Was I a distant relative? Was there anything I could tell him?

The story he told, based on interviews he had conducted with survivors and people in the orbit of the ship, was terrible. The ]Hull had been at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, but was not damaged; its captain then—the man who trained my father, who became the Hull's executive officer—was respected and trusted. In Seattle, he was replaced by a martinet from Annapolis, a man so vain and incompetent, so impatient with advice from experienced sailors and sure of his own right way, that, when the Hull set sail for the South Pacific, twenty men went AWOL, certain that to ship with this man was a death sentence.

With the typhoon looming, Admiral Halsey ordered the fleet to sail into it —"to see what they were made of." With the ship trapped in a trough, with waves on each side a hundred feet high, the captain determined to power the engines to full throttle and smash his way out, while his officers vainly tried to tell him that, in a trough, you cut the engines and wait. The captain panicked; he issued contradictory orders, rescinded them, issued them again. Other officers, who survived to tell the story to Bruce Henderson, begged my father—who was trusted as the captain was not, admired as the captain was reviled—to seize the ship: to place the captain under arrest, take command, and save the ship, in other words to lead a mutiny. There was no mutiny, but The Caine Mutiny was inspired by what happened in this typhoon, and by what might have happened.

My father refused. In the history of the Navy there had never been such a mutiny, he said. He knew, he said, that if he took command he would be court-martialed, and if he didn't, he and everyone else would probably die.

The ship was pitching at angles of seventy degrees. My father was thrown against machinery, breaking ribs, bones in his back, and the bones of one hand... The ship pitched over ninety degrees—and after that the only direction it could go was down. With the ship flooding, my father was pulled from a hatch into the open sea. One survivor says he said to a sailor who approached him, "Don't try to help me, I won't make it"; another remembers him asking for help, and the men near him knowing he had no chance.

http://www.threepennyreview.com/samples/..._sp08.html