The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 550 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 550 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 811 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 811 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(872) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(872) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 872 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 937 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 937 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5216 is_member
/global.php 937 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1997 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1997 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 665 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 813 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 416 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1114 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(484) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(484) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 484 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 672 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 672 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 757 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 757 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 762 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 762 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 887 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(887) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 887 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1555 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1555 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 33 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1587 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 41 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 41 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 82 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 82 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread_deleted - Line: 107 - File: showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1587) : eval()'d code 107 errorHandler->error

Drummers on Idol vs The Voice
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM by Tom22.)
Drummers on Idol vs The Voice
I'll spare you my frequent opining on the subject. I've expressed my frustration with the rythym section on the voice and particularly the drummer numerous times here and elsewhere.

I've never thought of myself as paying attention to drums and rhytyms singers took advantaage of to express songs until a couple years ago when I started to really try to understand why I liked some singing show performances and didn't like others.

I know this may or may not be totally fair -- some quotes were available online and others weren't

Also.. it could be that The Voice drummer is overburdened by requiring him to do more

That overwork is probably the problem. I read somewhere that Idol has a seperate drummer in the sessions with Iovine and perhaps the studio which falls on The Voice drummer.

So this isn't about the person's skill necessarily.

---

There is a huge contrast between how easy it all comes to the Idol drummer Rex Hardy and The voice drummer who's got a system of dumbing down the various songs int a basic formula so his words below, doesn't need t stare at the music stand. He has had a long career playing with many peformers

The idol drummer Rex Hardy musical background(gospel drumming) and the touring with R&B superstar 9 time grammy winner Mary Bilge I guess for 10 years.

The Voice's Nate Morton

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2011/0...Yl6mrXk98F

Quote:but as certain songs changed and were swapped for others, the total number of songs we had to learn in the first two weeks climbed to over one hundred. That’s when having a system for song arrangement shorthand comes in very handy! I don’t think the system I use is anything genius at all—in fact, it’s extremely simple. But since I get asked a lot about learning that volume of material in such a short time, I will briefly explain how I go about notating an arrangement.

Since the majority of the material is mainstream pop, rock, and country, the drum grooves tend to be fairly straightforward, which lends itself to this style of shorthand. Moreover, locking with my rhythm-section partner, Sasha Krivtsov, has always been more important to me than following a note-for-note transcription of the groove. So when I see a song title, I may write something beside it like, I4-V8-PC4-C8-S4-C8-O4-dwnbt crash. That’s shorthand for a four-bar intro, followed by an eight-bar verse, a four-bar pre-chorus, an eight-bar chorus, a four-bar solo, an eight-bar chorus, and a four-bar outro, with a crash on the downbeat. Like I said, it’s very simple. If the arrangement is more involved, or if I need to notate a change in the drum part—for example, if there’s a kick on the & of 3 going into the chorus or a particular section is long so I want to break it down so it’s easier to digest, I might modify the arrangement chart like this: I4-V8+8-PC4(3&)-C8-S4(closed hi-hat)+4(open hi-hat)-C8-O4(crash-ride)-dwnbt crash. I will notate half bars for a bar of two beats. For example, a four-bar verse where the last bar is a bar of two beats becomes V3 1/2.

Quote:I’ve been able to condense these arrangement “charts” to a length that will fit in the comments space in iTunes, so I often have my laptop beside me with iTunes open. It’s easy to quickly reference the track if need be and do a quick read-through of the arrangement. When the cameras roll, I can play without my eyes glued to a music stand, and the sooner you can do that, the sooner you can worry less about the song form and more about playing music.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Rex_Hardy_Jr.html

Idol's Rex Hardy JR.

comment I found about working on idol
Quote:Drummer Rex Hardy Jr. employs the flagship TD-30KV V-Pro Series V-Drums set while working on American Idol. In addition to its great feel, he loves the ability to have quick and easy access to an incredible variety of drum and percussion sounds. “Using the Roland TD-30 gave me more versatility with sounds,” he says. “Considering we play so many different styles of music on American Idol, the TD-30 allows me to explore all types of sounds and feels that make each song sound authentic.”

Rex has expanded his TD-30KV with an additional PD-108-BC V-Pad for a side snare, plus a PDX-8 V-Pad for even more triggering options. “I have three to four main kits that I’ve set up to fit what we normally do on American Idol,” he says. “There are a few times where I may have to set up an ‘80s rock kit or an electronic disco kit, depending on the songs week to week. Being able to have options is amazing! When the kit is going through the house mains, it sounds killer.” Rex also plays an SPD-SX Sampling Pad, which he loads up with custom drum loops and auxiliary sounds that he triggers for song intros and other applications.

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2013/03/27/...ican-idol/

about his role in general touring:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Rex_Hardy_Jr.html

Quote:In 2010, Rex hit his next major career milestone when he landed the much coveted drummer’s chair on FOX TV’s smash hit, American Idol. Taking over from Teddy Campbell, another Chicago worship scene player, Rex’s ability to nail any track on the first take made him a natural to handle the show’s rigorous schedule and massive song list. Little wonder then that he’s received nothing but rave reviews for his work on the show since taking over from Campbell.

Quote:Rex’s career took off in 2003, when he landed the gig with Mary J. Blige, with whom he’s been playing ever since, currently serving as her live tour musical director. “I think I bring energy to her gig,” he says. “That’s always a good thing in an R&B/hip-hop gig. Mary’s an artist who performs off the vibe, so if you have a great vibe going, that makes her more comfortable with what she’s doing. She can feel that you’re into what’s going on and that you’re not acting. It’s pretty much a good deal from then on. So I play with a lot of energy, but I try not to get carried away. Playing in church, you have to have chops, but I know to stay in the pocket without playing over her.

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2010/1...YmRobXk98E

also

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2010/1...YmRobXk98E